- time Recent High School Graduates: 17-19 Years Old
- location Tel Aviv-Yafo and Jerusalem
- duration Nine Months
The Greek Jewish community reaches back two thousand years and is primarily of Sephardic origin. Sephardic Jews immigrated to Greece following their expulsion from Spain by Christian rulers in 1492. During World War II, the German Nazis occupied Greece and started deporting Jews to concentration and labor camps, which resulted in the near-extermination of the rich magnificent community.
On the Year Course Olami trip to Greece we will follow the remarkable story of Greek Jewry while traveling Greece’s dramatic mountains, sandy beaches and Hellenistic culture
museums. We will take in the tranquil atmosphere of this unique country and taste its Mediterranean flavored culture while traveling its beautiful landscapes.
- Hike up Mt. Olympus
- Take a tour of the famous Acropolis and the Theater of Dionysius
- Visit Athens Stadium and Hadrian’s Arch
- Climb the Thessaloniki White tower
- Meet with Jewish students
When the Jews began to disperse throughout the Roman empire after the dissolution of the Jewish state in 70 CE, many settled in Mauretania, which corresponded to the Mediterranean coast- part of which is modern day Morocco. The Jewish community of Morocco has developed a rich heritage which resonates throughout Jewish history and that of Israel today. Throughout history, the Moroccan Jews have always desired to one day return to Israel. Despite their rich history in Morocco as well as the wealth and security that they enjoyed there, in the 1950s and 1960s the majority of the Moroccan Jewish community left Morocco, many of them arriving to the young State of Israel.
On the Year Course Olami trip to Morocco we will focus on the experience of the Moroccan Jews who lived under Muslim rule since the 7th century and created a unique and rich heritage. We will visit Casablanca, Morocco’s largest metropolis and one of Africa’s major economic centers, stroll around the colorful markets of Marrakesh, take in the breathtaking views of the Atlas Mountains and gain an insight to the exotic Moroccan-Jewish culture.
- Take a tour of Casablanca
- Shop for souvenirs around the Marrakesh markets
- Tour the Jewish Quarters of Meknes and Fez
- The Atlas Mountains
- Visit the Royal Palace and the Mausoleum of Mohammed V
Imagine yourself standing alongside one of the wonders of the world 3,924 miles away from Israel. The Mutianyu section has the largest original, non-restored part of the Great Wall, and you will have the chance to take a walk through history. Imagine yourself connecting with the Jewish Chinese culture in Beijing and Shanghai. Not to mention the authentic amazing Chinese food!
It’s no secret that China is one of the worlds leaders in business, and here you have the opportunity to meet with Lenovo and Ischam. A chance to learn about the Chinese business world and the relationship between China and Israel. Hear about recent developments and the vast business conducted between the two countries.
- Tour the Great Wall of China
- Visit the Forbidden City. The ancient city was for hundreds of years the home of the Emperor, his wife and the government officials.
- Visit the famous Nanjing street tour the bund
- Connect with the Jewish communities
*Schedule is subject to change