November 11-13th, 2016. Hugh Taylor Birch State Park 3109 East Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
Who is eligible to come to Southeast Fall Convention?
All Jewish teens living in the Southeast region of Young Judaea or teens that attended Camp Judaea, grades 9-12, who have leadership roles in YJ, are interested in becoming more involved in Young Judaea, or want to be in an atmosphere that reminds them of camp while learning about Israel, Judaism and being together for Shabbat. Southeast teens will be given priority over teens living in other Young Judaea regions for spaces. PLEASE NOTE THAT HUGH TAYLOR BIRCH STATE PARK IS A SMALL FACILITY AND WE DO NOT HAVE SPACE FOR MORE THAN 55 TEENS. PLEASE REGISTER EARLY.
How much does Southeast Fall Convention cost?
The convention fee is $250. This is not inclusive of flights. Please see below for information for teens who need to fly to convention
How do I register?
Registration is now done entirely online; in order for participants to register just go to this link: www.regpacks.com/yj_events – you simply choose the event Southeast Fall Convention. VERY IMPORTANT THAT IF YOU HAVE A REGPACKS ACCOUNT FOR ANY YEAR ROUND PROGRAM/CONVENTION (AWB, local event etc.) THAT YOU DO NOT OPEN A NEW ACCOUNT. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF YOUR ACCOUNT LOG IN, PLEASE EMAIL email@example.com or call 917-595-2100 x209
Are subsidies available?
Yes, though our subsidy funds are limited. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to receive a subsidy request form which will be due on September 19th. Participants who fly will be considered for subsidy prior to giving out any subsidies to those teens that do not have to fly. Please download the form HERE.
What are the travel guidelines?
· Participants who need to fly should book flights into Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport and plan to arrive between 10:30am and 2:00pm on Friday, November 11th. Our policy is to have staff at the airport to meet the teens, so please do not book the flights to arrive earlier than 10:30am.
· Participants can also be dropped off at Ft. Lauderdale airport between 1:30 and 2:15pm. The exact meeting spot will be sent at a later date.
· Participants being driven directly to Hugh Taylor Birch State Park , drop off time on Friday is no earlier than 2:30pm. The program will begin at approximately 3:00pm. No teen should arrive later than 4:00 pm. Shabbat comes in at 4:23pm.
· Participants are flying home should book flights out of Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport and plan to arrive between from 3:00pm – 5:30pm on Sunday, November 13th. We will be volunteering somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday and will finish after lunch time.
· Participants can be picked up at Ft. Lauderdale airport at approximately 1:30pm
· Participants can also be picked up directly from the volunteer site. More information will be provided in the coming weeks.
I can only find flights that arrive after or depart before/after the times you listed. Can I still take them?
Unfortunately we cannot offer much leeway on this, the Southeast Fall Convention schedule is precise and our time is extremely limited given that Shabbat comes in early. Flights must arrive at the prescribed times. We simply will not have staff, drivers and vehicles to cater to those who travel outside of the parameters listed. We will have a backup plan for delays.
What should I do if I am flying as an unaccompanied minor to Convention? Will there be someone to pick me up?
Please make sure to check with your airline provider what their specific rules and regulations are for flying as an unaccompanied minor. Each airline has a different procedure and some charge fees for this service. Once you check these rules with your airline, please contact us at email@example.com so we can provide you with the information needed for the airline of our staff member who will be escorting you from the gate to baggage claim. If there is a fee from the airline, that fee must be covered by the parents or guardians of the participants. To be considered an unaccompanied minor, your airline must have on record our staff member’s information.
What are the travel guidelines if I am driving myself to and from Convention?
Participants under 18 are encouraged NOT to drive themselves to convention. This is contrary to Young Judaea policy and anyone driving to convention must be dropped off and picked up by a parent or guardian. However, seasoned drivers are permitted to drive themselves and other teens with permission from parents (please request form from firstname.lastname@example.org).
Do I need to fill out any forms?
All of the important information is in the Regpacks form that you fill out, however, you must fill in THIS form to participate. Please scan and send the form to email@example.com or fax to 646-649-2422.
What should I pack?
· 3 shirts
· 3 pairs of pants
· 4 pairs of socks (you never know!)
· 3 pairs of underwear
· Shoes you don’t mind messing up!
· 1 pair of nice clothing appropriate for Shabbat dinner
· a kipah for the boys (girls optional)
· toiletrees (shampoo, soap ,toothpaste etc.)
· a towel
· a sleeping bag
· a pillow
· money for a YJ tshirt or other merchandise (price TBD)
· a warm jacket
What is the cancellation policy for Convention? If you cancel your participation between registration and October 1st, 2016, you will be eligible for a 100% program refund. If you cancel your registration between October 2nd and October 15th, you will be eligible for a 50% refund. If you cancel after October 15th, you will not be eligible for a refund. We do this because by October 15th, we will have booked everything and there will be no opportunity to change numbers for food.
Young Judaea reserves the right to cancel Southeast Convention, or change any of the itinerary due to low enrollment security or other reason as determined by Young Judaea’s sole and absolute discretion.
Program prices are subject to change in Young Judaea’s sole and absolute discretion. Young Judaea shall not be held responsible for fees or damages associated with such cancellation that participants may incur.
Regardless of when you cancel, if cancellation occurs after you have purchased an airline ticket, you will be responsible for the full price of the airline ticket. In the event Young Judaea cancels Southeast Convention, Young Judaea shall not be responsible for any fees or damages associated with such cancellation that participant may incur (including flights). No refunds will be given for participants who are dismissed and/or otherwise removed from or leave Southeast Convention for any reason (voluntary or involuntary) once the program has commenced.
Note: All flight expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
Prices of the program are subject to change in Young Judaea’s sole and absolute discretion.