Camp Young Judaea Midwest is a non profit Jewish overnight camp serving 200 campers each summer, with plans for future growth. CYJ Midwest strives to enable each individual to realize their fullest potential, feel as though they are a valued member of the community and learn how to contribute their perspectives in order to better the community as a whole. It is a safe environment for both campers and staff across the spectrum of Jewish backgrounds to build and strengthen their connections to Judaism and Israel. Camp Young Judaea Midwest provides a quality Jewish camp program available to all families in a safe, supportive and positive environment.
The Assistant Director position is responsible for developing and executing strategic marketing and outreach plans to recruit campers, retain campers, engage with alumni, connect with communities, and be the public face of Camp Young Judaea Midwest. The Assistant Director will work directly with the Director to build and implement a plan to grow recruitment over the next 3-5 years. The full time year round salaried position involves residence at camp throughout the summer in Waupaca, Wisconsin and residence the rest of the year in Chicago, IL.
Responsibilities included but are not limited to:
Marketing & Outreach • Travel mostly throughout the Midwest to recruit new campers and staff
• Develop, maintain and execute the CYJ Marketing and Communications calendar
• Plan, write, and design mass and targeted communications, in both digital and print media
• Develop and produce print marketing for program and events including flyers, fact sheets, and brochures. Coordinating content development with other team members as required.
• Update and enhance website pages
• Plan, write, manage and post content to blogs
• Execute and track social media activity and performance metrics (web analytics, social media insights)
• Manage all summer communications for communicating the camp experience to families, alumni, and donors.
• Train, supervise and evaluate seasonal staff, including photographers, videographers, blogs, and all those responsible for interface with camp families and alumni
• Serves as Rosh Machaneh (program director) during the summer
• Co-develop and co-lead staff orientation pre-camp and throughout the summer.
General • Assist in the process of interviewing and selecting staff.
• Attend and support camp/hub events as needed, acting as staff member, chaperone, and supervisor in partnership with other members of the staff and leadership team
• Function as a member of the summer leadership team and assume other responsibilities consistent with personal skill set and interests.
• High energy and passion for Jewish Camp, State of Israel and Jewish traditions & customs
• Extroverted with exceptional people skills, empathy, and the ability to build relationships easily
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or other related field; or 3 years related experience
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to engage and communicate clearly and concisely to both children and adults
• Highly proficient with standard office software and various graphic and online media platforms
• Tangible experience of having managed complex staff and business relationships.
• Flexible and adaptable style; willing to engage in all areas of camp
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• A professional and resourceful style, the ability to take initiative, and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Able to travel
• Capable of working effectively in a stressful environment.
• Able to live at camp during the summer season